Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Pain vs. Suffering

"Pain is necessary. Suffering is not"--Todd Norian

A few weeks ago I went on a yoga retreat with the wonderful Todd Norian, which was a phenomenal experience. Yoga for seven hours a day, including morning meditation at 6:30 am each day. I saw the sun rise and spread its rosy fingers across the Berkshires sky. I felt better and healthier than I have in years.

I've been holding the above phrase close to me, and in light of recent events, I am holding it even closer. Pain tells the brain that something is wrong, and a change must happen. Pain tells you that you better take your hand out of the fire. Pain tells you that where you are now, is not where you need to be. Pain is reflexive, instinctive, and yes, necessary for survival.

Suffering, on the other hand, is a choice. Suffering is a mindset, a dark cloak that one puts on and wears as a fashion statement. It's also a garment that's hard to take off.

Pain forces you to be in action, suffering keeps you where you are.

It seems like such a simple distinction, a slight shift, but one that has really been of benefit to me. I'm not interested in suffering anymore. I'm interested in fixing things. I'm interested in looking on the bright side. I'm interested in wearing pink. I'm interested in raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens. (Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens, too.) Quite frankly, I'm interested in smiling.

Fancy that.

No comments:

Post a Comment