Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Hallelujer!

In the immortal words of Jeff Buckley, and well, Madea, "Hallelujer!"

Went to the ortho on Tuesday. He said that he just needs one small space to close up, and next month, he will create the mold for my retainer. This, my dears, means that the braces will COME OFF IN 6 WEEKS if all goes according to plan.

I still don't think it's hit me. I have very consciously been willing this process to be over in July. I've told everyone I meet quite definitively that it will end in July. Now that July seems to be coming to fruition, I am pleased, delighted, confused, and curious. I like feeling all of these things.

I came across this passage in Eat Pray Love, this passage helped me through a painful breakup three years ago, and now, somehow, it's so appropriate now too:

Instructions for Freedom:


Life's metaphors are God's instructions


The day is ending. It is time for something that was beautiful to turn into something else that is beautiful. Now let go.


With all your heart, ask for grace, and let go. 


With all your heart, forgive him, forgive yourself, and let him go.


Let your intention be freedom from useless suffering. Then let go. 


When the past has passed from you at last, let go. Then climb down and begin the rest of your life with great joy. 


I feel like a senior in high school, with graduation day just weeks away.  I'm so ready for a known experience to end, and something new to begin. I want to accept my diploma for all that has been learned in the last three years. I want to forgive my orthodontist, and forgive myself for this experience. I want us to smile proudly, unencumbered, at one another, and mean it.

I was walking home from my friend Diana's house tonight, and I saw so many fireflies--the first of the season. They always cause me such delight. I looked up the symbolism of fireflies and it say that they are symbols of hope and inspiration. "They are the promise of accomplishment through hope and efforts. They remind us that we have laid the appropriate groundwork and from it will spring great reward...For those to whom the firefly appears, it is time to trust in your own rhythms, physical and spiritual...Fireflies remind us that there are others who will respond to us and who are like us. They will make their presence known soon.


Yes indeed. Let there be light.

1 comment:

  1. This is great, fantastic news! Sorry I'm late to the party!! Please let us know if there's going to be an actual 'braces off' throw-down.

    ReplyDelete