Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Liberation Day

I'm still in shock.

The braces came off TODAY.

My ortho had said that he would take molds today for retainers and that they would do so with the brackets on and it would take 2 weeks to get the retainers.  But before I knew it, he was snapping off brackets and wires and molar bands, O rings and power chains. Metal and dried glue went flying everywhere. Molds were taken for my new invisalign retainers which I'll get tomorrow. Today's gifts include a whole 24 hours of true liberation.

I swear, it still has not hit me.

Looking at myself in the mirror I see someone who looks so different, so young.  Happy! And yet, all I can think of is the gratitude I want to express to all of you who have been with me for the last three years every step of the way. I want to thank you all for reading, for your letters, your words, your encouragement, your hearts, your shoulders, the lovely meals you've made me, the adventures you've had with me. I want to thank a very special dachshund who offered his most human empathy in my darkest moment.

I've been listening to Gotye's "Save Me" which really expresses what I've been feeling for all of you:  

You gave me love, when I could not love myself. 
And you made me turn, from the way I saw myself. 
And you're patient, love, and you help me help myself. 
And you save me, and you save me, and you save me."

Beautiful song. Skip to :32 which is when the words start:



I love you all. Really, really.


2 comments:

  1. Congratulations and a half! I smell a celebration in the near future...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on this! This is always the happiest day for my patients. :)

    ReplyDelete