Sunday, November 15, 2009

Simple Pleasures

Here's what was absolutely grinworthy this weekend:

1. The fact that the rain frightened the soccer players, the joggers and strolling families away and I had Prospect Park almost entirely to myself on Saturday morning. I just opened up my lungs and digested the bright green smell of the trees, the newly seeded grass, and the steamy earthiness of the Fallkill and Amberkill waterfalls. So delightful to simply wander and feel my feet squish under the muddy ground.

2. My niece and nephew are the most precious things on the planet. They were both braiding my hair on Friday night--each on either side of my head. Feeling their tiny fingers in my hair was so surprisingly relaxing, I almost caught myself purring. I melted when my four-year-old nephew asked "Am I hurting you?" When I told him no, he replied, "Good, because I love you." Bionic grin to the nth degree!

3. I have not had one cupcake since Friday, and quite frankly, I'm feeling really good. In fact, I'm sitting here with a cup of Chocolate Raspberry Bliss Tea which I purchased at the Celestial Seasonings factory in Boulder, Colorado (one of my favorite cities in the world.) Sweetened with maple syrup, it's much more satisfying (and cost effective!) than the trendy cupcakes I've been seduced by, for the last few months.

4. Jehangir Mehta is still in the running to be the Next Iron Chef. I'll tell you from personal experience that he is one of the sweetest people I've met. I went to his restaurant, Graffiti, in the East Village a few months ago, and it was truly a wonderful meal. It's a tiny jewel box of a place, and what made it so lovely is that my dining companion and I struck up a conversation with Jehangir (as he served every course to us himself) and we discussed everything from wine to Martha Stewart to cookbook publishing. At that time, he told us that he was flying to California shortly to discuss a new show with the Food Network. Now I know that it was The Next Iron Chef. He embodied noble refinement and I left his restaurant delighted and charmed. (Particularly by the Seaweed Duck Roll with Onion Confit and the Tomato Tamarind Vegetable Buns with Fennel Relish and the Chickpea Encrusted Skate.) I just hope that it's still possible to get in there after the show! (And hopefully after he wins!)

No comments:

Post a Comment