Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Hidden Gems

I love impromptu evenings.

My friend Jim called me towards the end of the day yesterday, and I was delighted to hear that he happened to be in town. Not wanting to spend another moment in my office, I gladly met him to catch up. We found ourselves walking towards Grand Central and I got it in my head to try and find the Campbell Apartment which is one of New York's many hidden bars, and one I had not yet been to. At the six o'clock hour it was filled with suits and finance types, leather banquettes and low light. Very 1920s. Very men's club. Very strong drinks.

I consider Jim to be a mentor in many ways, and his opinions mean much to me. I mentioned to him that I was done struggling so very hard with the braces. He told me that most people adapt to the things that they encounter in their every day existence, but there was awesomeness in the fact that I was undertaking a true and fundamental change. It was a good moment, because I consider Jim to have a very clear perspective on things, and I was put in a position where I had to listen and take it to heart. (Or maybe it was the drink. As I said, it was very strong...)

You may have noticed in the last few posts that I've said that I'm done fussing, grieving and punishing myself. I really mean it. There are too many other better, sweeter, more enticing ideas to have in my head. The negative ones are simply getting crowded out, crying in their beer.

And seriously, why have beer, when you can have a Roaring Twenties?

No comments:

Post a Comment