Saturday, October 10, 2009

Ch-ch-ch-changes

I swear, it's always something new with these teeth. They actually hurt today, and I don't understand why. People keep telling me that they see a difference--my teeth look straighter, my chin looks straighter, my whole face looks thinner. I would like to believe these observations, but I can't yet see it myself. I do know that things are moving. I can feel it, but I can't quite chart it yet. I'm Lewis and Clarking all over myself, but haven't yet found my Sacajawea who can help me make sense of it all.

Since I can't show you anything too different about my chompers, I figured that there's nothing more fun than making fun of a celebrity. So here goes:


Some of these examples are not that big a deal. But man! Catherine Zeta Jones! Celine Dion! Nicolas Cage! Elliott Yamin! (Looks like he fixed more than just his teeth!) Such drastic changes. It gives new meaning to "self improvement." More like reinvention. I always suspected that some actors have trouble with their centers of identity and that's why they need to inhabit characters--because they cannot firmly root themselves in who they are. (I've noticed this same curiosity about therapists and psychologists.) I went on a date with an actor once and asked him about this idea. He got insulted and took it very personally when I brought this up, when really I just wanted his opinion. The tenor of our date changed dramatically and I knew that it was going to be our first and last outing. So imagine my surprise when he gave me one hell of a kiss as we parted--and then not so surprisingly never called again.

I think perhaps that was his way of answering my question.


1 comment:

  1. BG, I totally sympathise. I thought my bite was strange last week - this week it's even worse. My teeth touch in exactly one place, unless I contort my jaw. Please know that there are others sharing your experience!

    Also, I love your blog. :-)

    Ed

    ReplyDelete