Monday, April 19, 2010

Crazy Eights

We have just passed month #8. Every time I go to my orthodontist's office, the whole staff appears genuinely happy to see me. No matter what time my appointment may be scheduled, they always take me as soon as I come in even if there are three people in the waiting room ahead of me. The energy changes in the office; they start smiling and there's a palpable warmth in the room. This time, the doctor's assistant took my old bands off and commented with glee, "Your teeth look great!" Shortly thereafter, my ortho came over and said, "Wow! Your teeth look great!"

I have to tell you, I felt like freakin' Miss America.

They kept commenting on how quickly my teeth are moving for an adult. My doctor put on a lot of super-strong elastics and within one day, my front four teeth are closed. I was scared to ask, but I went there: I asked him if I'll need a dental implant and he said, no, that he'll be able to close everything without it, and I almost wanted to jump for joy. The dental assistant came over to put the new bands on, and my doctor said, "No, that's okay, I'll do it," which, if I think about it, he does every month. :)

The teeth hurt, but that's all right. I am thinking again about what Nick Vujicic said, that if you are not rescued from your struggle it means that there's something greater in store for you, something more for you to learn. I've been treating this process like a delinquent, hiding in the back of the class with my head down and doodling on my desk when there has been so much available for me to learn. Now I feel the need to be present with it, to study hard, show up every day, and make the magic happen. Magic is a word that is starting to follow me, in much the same way that "alignment" and "alchemy" were following me just before I got the braces, and I'm so curious to see what that word has in store for me.

Abracadabra!

7 comments:

  1. Funny, I was thinking about you last night while decompressing in front of the tv watching David Blane work his magical wonders...hope you continue to hold that head high and smile wide. We love and miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Love the synchronicity! Love and miss you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. BG, that sounds fantastic! I don't quite get that level of treatment at my Ortho's office... my bottom front teeth have become all crowded this month, in reaction to some springs that were installed last time. I'm very self-conscious about them! But I'm sure it's a temporary situation...

    Thanks as always for including your readers in your journey!

    Eddie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yipes, springs! What are they supposed to do?
    Hang in there Eddie--as we know better than anyone, this too will soon shift!

    ReplyDelete
  5. BG,

    yes, springs! they're between my bottom eye teeth and the premolars immediately behind, in order to spread those teeth apart and make room to rotate the eye teeth about 90 degrees. But they're working too well, haha... one of my lateral incisors has retreated rearward, popping the ligature off at some point and has moved up about 3mm.

    Tomorrow morning I'm getting a spacer inserted to make room for a band around one of my crowns. I'm told I'll be sore for several days - joy!

    Thanks for the encouragement, BG. It's a reassurance to know you're going through your experience simultaneously with me.

    Eddie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eddie! I hurt just thinking about everything you just wrote!
    When I'm sore, I tell myself that I am entitled to liquor. I usually don't drink at all, but when the braces first get tightened, Mr. Margarita is my friend. Sometimes they make it sound worse than it really is--how are you doing?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for asking BG! The spacer insertion was precisely as unpleasant as I'd feared. One gap was so small that the plastic spacer wouldn't fit. So, the ortho used a bit of brass wire, which he passed through just above the gumline and then wrapped around into a loop, and twisted the ends until the circle became tight enough to creep between the teeth from above and below... not fun! But thirty ibuprofin later I'm feeling almost back to normal; the band goes in tomorrow and the spacers come out! yay!

    I think I'll have a drink tonight to celebrate. thanks for the tip!

    Eddie

    ReplyDelete