Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Purpose Driven Thought

I've been thinking a lot about purpose lately. While at Kripalu, I read an article by life coach Tama Kieves who encourages her clients to ask themselves three questions with regard to one's path in life:

1. What do you ache to do in this moment?
2. Why would you be encoded with a desire that you didn't have the means and calling to fulfill?
3. What would you do, right now, if you trusted love more than fear?

Now that the fraught nature of this tooth process is really starting to fade into the background, I find that I'm starting to look forward and outward and think more substantively about purpose. What do I ache to do in this moment--both large and small?

I want to go to Bali and Japan (Welcome back TJ!)
I want to go to New Orleans, and back to Rocky Mountain National Park
I want to be blissfully married
I want to finish my novel and have it be a truly pleasurable writing experience
I want to win a Pulitzer Prize
I want to explore City Island
I want pancakes from Clinton Street Baking Company
I want to take up jogging
I want to learn French
I want to read the pile of books on my windowsill

Though the first two questions on Tama's list are very practical, it's the third that seems so woo-woo. And yet, it's the one that's sort of making me get defensive. It's not that I'm afraid, I'm just lazy, I'm just a procrastinator, I'm tired and want time to be still. But what for? Laziness and procrastination are really just forms of self-punishment. So what would happen if I did trust love more than fear? I just might find myself in Bali with my Pulitzer Prize.

Holy crap, what a thought.

Holy crap, what a thought!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for those 3 quiet and deeply challenging questions. And yes, even picturing what we'd achieve if we answered those questions is audacious and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy crap, what a thought BG!

    Made me smile today, thanks!

    Eddie

    ReplyDelete