Sunday, April 18, 2010

Without Limb-its

I was invited to hear Nick Vujicic speak this past weekend. When I heard that he was born without arms or legs, I honestly didn't know what to expect. My sympathies were aroused, certainly, but I wasn't sure what kind of talk this was going to be. I mean, the mere fact that he gets out of bed in the morning is inspiring in and of itself, no? But I went with an open mind, to hear what he had to say.

Goodness gracious, this man is really something.

First of all, he's Australian, and he has that great Aussie irreverence and humor. He's very attractive, has a wonderful smile and a handsome face, and his honesty shines through every word he says. He said that even without arms, he's hugged over 350,000 people and I believe it. He's utterly entrepreneurial (stocks and real estate), he owns his own company, his own foundation, and travels all over the world bringing a message of hope and faith. Here, have a taste of his sense of humor:


And then he got into the meat of his story:


And even more:


(These last two videos were filmed four years ago, but the message is the same.)

I wish I could convey how moved I was by his presence, his assurance, his faith, and the fact that everything is achievable if we continue to move towards it, however slowly, however damaged our bodies may be. It is our minds, our psyches that can overcome all. I have been told this many times throughout my life, and the message has been doubled over the past seven months. But I don't think I really understood it until I heard Nick speak. It instantly made me ashamed of all the struggle I've had with my braces, and how cowed I've felt by their presence in my mouth. The shift in my view on myself was startlingly instantaneous--the braces just don't matter anymore. They're there. I'm still me. Yes it changes how I speak and look, but I'm still me. Yes, I get tired when they get tightened, and yes, I still crave the cupcakes. But punishing myself was simply a form of procrastination.

Now, things are going to start getting interesting. Buckle up folks, I have a feeling, we're in for a fantastic ride in the coming months.

I love that in this video Nick speaks about the book he wants to write. Well, it's four years later and Life Without Limits: Inspiration for a Ridiculously Good Life is coming out in October. I can't wait to read it.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this! What an inspiration. Wow.

    I'm reminded of something my teacher Mingyur Rinpoche said that really stuck with me. A student confessed that on a recent trip to India, they saw enormous suffering caused by poverty and hunger, and it was so great it made their own struggle with depression seem petty and selfish. Rinpoche's response? "Suffering is suffering."

    It's wonderful to see that people like Nick - and you! - are there to remind us that we can do so much with whatever we are given, especially when we put it to use in the service of others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. K--so very, very useful and insightful. Thank you (and Mingyur Rinpoche!) as always for your words and point of view.

    ReplyDelete