Tuesday, August 25, 2009

In Yo' Face!

First of all, I have to give a shout out to Cory and Mick, who not only read my blog, but read it at the same time in the same room on different computers. THAT is dedication, folks.

Cory and I actually met for lunch today and it took about 10 minutes to explain to the waitress that I wanted soup. Despite the fact that we found many ways to convey this, we unfortunately could not convey this in Thai. If I am an X-men mutant, then Cory indeed should be wearing a cape, (and a most fashionable one at that) because she turned into a Superhero coming to my culinary rescue when the plate of...obviously not soup was set down in front of me. I felt very loved--thanks, C!

I'm having one of those "what the hell was I thinking" days with the braces. A week and a half was enough. Joke's over. Now let me get back to my real life so I can stop thinking about them ALL the time. The distraction, and the tiredness I feel from giving this all my energy has reached a breaking point. I'm sick of soup. I can only anticipate going through this again when they put the braces on my bottom teeth in a few months--and I'm not happy about it.

Now I really understand where the phrase "In Your Face!" comes from. Man, these things sure are in my face.

A few days ago I got this note from "the universe" in my inbox:

The real reason so many have trouble with
the baby steps--doing all they can,
with what they've got, from where they are,
no matter how humble or seemingly
futile--is because they haven't yet grasped
that the baby steps trigger unseen forces that
throw wide the floodgates of unstoppable
momentum, infinite abundance, and eternal life.

I understand that braces are an oral version of baby steps, and that
the molar shifts can only be felt in teeny, tiny ways. I know that
look on a baby's face when s/he is old enough to understand, but
not old enough to speak, and the frustration that accompanies
that feeling, is what I feel right now. I think I have that look on
my face all the time. This slow pace is so demoralizing to a
New Yorker who is used to having everything at lightning speed.
Trusting the process is just not feeling easy or fun or...ah, here's
the word, palatable today.

If I allow myself to think of me at 38 happy that I've gone
through this, that is some consolation.

But right now, these things are just too much "in my face!"


No comments:

Post a Comment