Saturday, August 29, 2009

Technicalities

Despite the fact that my brother and my old college roommate insist that everything is too technical for me, I decided to embrace the 21st century and buy an electric toothbrush. It's so shiny and clinical and it has all these buttons and knobs! I charged the sucker up and was so excited when I turned it on! The high pitched hum! The green glowing LED!


Lord, the thing is too technical for me.


Does anyone know how to use a sonicare? It seems awfully powerful and it vibrated the toothpaste right off of its head, the second I turned it on. I think it's good for my gums, but I haven't figured out how to use the thing on my teeth. Is there a trick to this? If anyone can advise, please do!

I was told by my friends who had worn braces in the past that I would soon get obsessed with teeth--and notice things that I never would have noticed before. I hate to say it, but this is true. I saw The September Issue tonight and both Anna Wintour, Vogue dominatrix extraordinaire and Grace Coddington, Vogue's Creative Director and my new favorite person both had teeth that could have used a bracket or two! I was amazed at the beauty and power that these women represent, and yet, they themselves are not at all picture perfect. I liked this about them, though. My days in magazines have taught me well, that you don't have to look like or live the fairy tale, you just have to be able to know how to sell it.



Talk about selling the dream: I loved this layout from Vogue's Sept. 2007 ish. And look! Inserting images into my blog aren't too technical for me!

And I utterly loved the scene where the model, after her photo shoot, still strapped into her corset like a punked-out Victorian, bit into that chocolate cherry pie with such obvious, honest relish! Oh honey, I know the feeling! I miss it!

I was also utterly amused that, upon exiting the theater, I got a dirty look from two girls behind me who said, "Let's get out of here, there are too many hipsters here" and with upturned noses, they stormed off. Well! Girls! You're in the East Village! What did you expect? And secondly, I'm a hipster? Well, all right! I guess I was lookin' good in my shorts and winter boots! Andre Leon Talley has nothing on me!

2 comments:

  1. I love my electric toothbrush (sonicare); it keeps me brushing my teeth for a full 2 minutes (except when I cheat). TIP #1: use gel toothpaste--I like Tom's. TIP#2: keep the thing really near, in, on your pearlies and let the moving head do its thing. (this is sounding a bit sexy, no?). Then slowly move it bit by bit around your teeth. I like to do outside bottom, then inside bottom, then outside top and inside top--and make sure to get the gums and teeth. I know this will be tricky with the metal, but you'll get it. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. get yourself a damn waterpik already!!!!!

    ReplyDelete