Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Bewildered

It has been a truly bewildering day.

Corporate shakeup at my office at 11:30 am, which left everyone was so shocked, you could hear a pin drop for the rest of the day. (I still am employed.) Major meeting at 2:30 pm with 50 co-workers where I got a round of applause from the whole room for the work that I've done in the past year. It was a surreal opposite-of-The Office kind of moment. I honestly felt like I had won an Oscar or something.

I have written before about the concept of being seen, and I am not one to toot my horn or belt out "Rose's Turn." (I tried to embed the video but couldn't, so click the link.) And with braces, I am even more inclined to simply keep my head down for fear of someone forming an opinion--whatever that may be--only by what they can see.

Well, maybe it's time to pull the curtain up, light the lights and be unafraid of that opinion. Because it's becoming abundantly clear that I underestimate what can be seen of me not only by the eyes but the ears and hands and heart. And if I underestimate it, I reject myself before anyone else can. It's a neat and tidy strategy. Safe, but awfully lonely.

Marianne Williamson said, "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, "Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?" Actually, who are you not to be?...Your playing small does not serve the world...As we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we're liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."

Bionic Grin's gotta let go.

Here she is boys! Here she is world! My name is Bionic Grin! What's yours?

2 comments:

  1. awesome, awesome! get big BG!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BG, Kick Ass!

    I'm excited for you, and congratulations on the recognition at work.

    Cheers,
    Eddie

    ReplyDelete