Sunday, December 13, 2009

Two Party System

I thought I had posted this on Saturday night, but alas, I did not, so better late than never. This is what I wrote then:

It's been an exhausting week. After the 4:30am start to my day work day on Thursday and more attempts at tidying things after the corporate shakeup earlier this week, I was simply worn out by the time the weekend arrived. I lazed in bed. I stayed close to home. I laundered blankets, and stayed close to the heat. I was invited to two parties tonight, but I was so tired, I was just going to fall asleep on the couch while watching March of the Penguins and call it a night.

But then my friend TJ called and said he was a few blocks away and he'd pick me up before going to party #1. This was the motivation I needed. I popped off the couch, tossed on some clothes and off we went into the cool night air.

I made a conscious decision not to be self conscious. I think I've been hyper-aware of meeting new people and the new possibilities that meeting them might carry. But for the first time in months I took the pressure off me and decided to just be myself. When a friend asked "What's new?" and I pointed out the braces he exclaimed"Cute!" without batting an eyelash. As I took the pressure off myself, I realized that I was having a really good time. I never made it to party #2.

I also ate all the cod balls and the Olive Oil Rosemary Cake (which is really a quick bread, but who's arguing?) Click the link for the recipe--it's from the Babbo Cookbook by Mario Batali. Leave it to Will and Kat for utter scrumptiousness!

No comments:

Post a Comment