Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Remembering

It is the fifth anniversary of my father's death. He died on the 5th night of Chanukah or the 12th of December and I am remembering him.

If you knew him, you'll recall that he was always ready with a joke. When I started dating, his first order of business was to ask, "Has he read Kafka? He has to have read Kafka." Which is hilarious, considering the fact that I've never read Kafka. When I pointed this out to my father, in mock fury he would exclaim, "What!? Not read Kafka? And you're my daughter?? Child of an English major??" And we would laugh.

In seriousness, after the Kafka, he always told me to look for a man who was compassionate, because this, above all attributes was most prized. Gandhi says, "Be the change you wish to see in the world," and I have not been compassionate with myself at all, lately, so why do I expect compassion back? And I certainly haven't read Kafka, so with that double bind, tough luck finding a suitor who would have made my father proud.

Maybe it's time to take Metamorphosis out of the library...(or just use Google Books!)

3 comments:

  1. Hi BG!

    Metamorphosis is not a long story. You should be able to knock it out in short order. I read it in Philosophy class, during a study on the concept of self or something like that.

    I might suggest, however, that you'll see more benefit from changing the other problem you identified: specifically, treating yourself compassionately!

    I hope this fifth anniversary has provided you also with many happy memories. Thanks as always for sharing your blog with the world and therefore, me.

    Eddie

    ReplyDelete
  2. All respects and love for you in your remembrance. Your father is doubtless very proud of you, Kafka or no.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to you both for your sweet words. :)

    ReplyDelete