Saturday, February 20, 2010

Dirty Mouth

Yesterday was my six month anniversary with the braces. I can't believe that it's been six months already! It seems to have gone very quickly, and yet, it's been the bane of my existence as well. I imagine that this is how mothers feel--so caught up with the everyday needs and care, that time seems to play tricks on them, and months and years fly by to put this fully formed human being in front of them. I look in the mirror at my "six month old" and am full of wonder. I've likened this whole braces process to children before, and in many ways, it is an apt comparison. There is a cocooning, a birthing, and rearing that is taking place. And at the end, like all proud parents, I will be able to look at my teeth and say, "I made that happen."

It's quite a leap to be able to think about that moment right now, but I think it's because, for the first time, I can have that proud day in my sights. My teeth really do look different. They are still figuring out how and where they should move, but they are definitely doing it! My orthodontist was once again very happy with the progress, which in turn, makes me very relieved. I was also glad to get my bands changed, as my friend Nicole delightedly exclaimed last week: "Wow, you got neon green bands! Cool!" Except for the fact that they were neon green because of all the curry I had been eating. Lesson learned--no more curry unless I'm going to the orthodontist right afterwards! Now my mouth is so bright and clean. Are you listening Orbit gum? I'm posterchild ready for your "dirty mouth" ads!

My friend Ginny shared this quote from Alexander Graham Bell recently: "When one door closes another door opens; but we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the ones which open for us." That has been true for me for a long time now. I've been mourning losses--the loss of my freedom of food, my healthy routine, and a certain person that I loved. But something has shifted along with my teeth and those closed doors have led me down a hallway towards something entirely new. Though these past few months have made me hesitant to walk down that hallway and open other doors, now I'm peeking around the corners and getting curious.

Call me Alice. It's time for colorful, interesting and exciting trip down the hallway...if not the rabbit hole!

1 comment:

  1. BG, you made me smile! Your positive energy and optimism always inspire me.

    I'm at six months, too now. And I share your mood today!

    Cheers,
    Eddie

    ReplyDelete