Monday, February 1, 2010

The Practicality of Pessimism

My friend Linda sent me this video of Tim Ferriss, author of The Four-Hour Work Week:


Though the title, "The Practicality of Pessimism" is catchy, the video basically says to name your fears so that they're not so powerful. He includes this quote from Mark Twain: "I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened." Similarly, there is also an old African adage that says, "All things that make noise at the side of the road, do not enter the road." I love that saying. I use it often.

Ferris talks about Cato, the ancient Stoic, who wore clothes that were out of style in his day so that he could learn to be ashamed of only the things that were truly shameful, and ignore the things that others would simply have low opinions of. It's strangely comforting, in a way, to think that the folks in the 65 BC were just as concerned as we are now with judgmental glances from strangers. The more things change, the more things stay the same.

I suppose the point is that there will always be something that will garner a disapproving stare: a laugh too loud, an outfit showing too much skin, or perhaps even braces. So laugh too loud anyway. Show off your *ass*ets and smile when you wear the braces. This is the practicality of pessimism indeed.

4 comments:

  1. Hi BG!
    Wow, 65 BC? I am also surprised that they worried about the same crap!

    Cheers and as always, thanks for the perspective!

    Eddie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you back, Eddie! How are your teeth treating you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi BG!
    well, they're okay I guess. I'll get the two missing brackets reattached in a couple of weeks - just in time for my long weekend in California! But aside from constantly having food caught in them - they're not bad. I haven't noticed any amazing changes on the lowers yet - and that may be in part due to the missing brackets. So I feel like I'm in a holding pattern, ya know?
    Thanks for being a voice out there for us grown-ups with braces!
    Now I'm going to send you a birthday greeting on your other post... LOL

    Eddie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eddie, how did you lose the brackets? I know all about the holding pattern. I'm missing one bracket that's acting like a molar band, and I think I need to fight my ortho to put it on sooner rather than later. Ugh. I hope you have a great long weekend in Cali!

    ReplyDelete