Monday, January 18, 2010

Hair Dresser Wisdom

If you've been reading my blog for a while, you'll recall Ali, the guy from Morocco who cuts my hair. I sat down the the salon chair and I said to him, "Ali, do whatever you want, just make me look pretty." So he washed, conditioned and began to cut. Halfway through the cut he looks at me and says, "You ok? You look tired." This is unusual for Ali, who always tells me I'm "byuooti-ful." I made some offhand comment about being stressed because I didn't really want to engage in conversation. Ali is amazing with the scissors, but I do have a hard time understanding what the heck he's talking about most of the time. He asked, "You stressed about job? What happened to boyfriend?" I told him the boyfriend was no more.

Ali stopped cutting, got up to me real close, looked me in the eye, and said meaningfully, "You take your time. You come to me for years, you never look tired like this. You take your time and you find the right thing. You have to live only the things you like and leave behind the rest. Only what you like. You do what you like, and you're byuooti-ful." I told him that I was only beautiful because he made me look beautiful, and he got very serious and said, "No! Ugly is ugly. But byuooti-ful," he said as he beamed, "is byuooti-ful."

I don't think anyone can argue with that logic.


2 comments:

  1. I love love love hearing about Ali, as you turned him on to me. You got his voice down pat. And I could totally see him dispensing great wisdom. This is a great entry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BG, that Ali sounds like a wise person!

    Glad you have people like him in your life. :-)

    Eddie

    ReplyDelete