Thursday, January 21, 2010

Tooth Obsessed!

I was never the sort who liked to collect knickknacks. People with "collections" kind of befuddle me. Why does one need cups and keychains and and posters and t-shirts and purses and placemats with chickens on them? (Uh, sorry, Jill!)

However, since I got the braces, I've been kind of fascinated by the plethora of items out there with teeth on them. I'm wondering why anyone would want, or create this sort of stuff. For example:


The guy makes tiny portraits and paints them on molars and bicuspids. He calls them tooth tattoos and apparently they're some sort of "white collar ink." It ain't that pretty and it ain't cheap. Why would anyone want a portrait of David Letterman on their back molars??

And this gal makes golden charms out of children's teeth that have fallen out. Apparently she gilded her son's first lost tooth and it was so popular that it turned into a business. Um, really? I'm a little creeped out by that, and there are just too many unsettling metaphors to attach to it

However, lest I leave you with an *ahem* bad taste in your mouth, here is a really cute little tooth. I love the one with the eyes closed and the lovely feminine lashes on the left.

On that note, I bid you good night, sweet dreams, and hope that the tooth fairy leaves you a lucrative bonus under your pillow for teeth once lost long ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment