Sunday, January 10, 2010

Winter Song

I am sitting here cozy in my apartment, as the day, sunny and 20 degrees moves along its trajectory. I have been so tired since returning from Mexico and usually when I'm feeling low energy and melancholy I dash out into the day, run in the park, go to the movies or simply call friends to multiply a good feeling between us. But somehow none of this is enticing me. So I'm instead listening to music, Louis Armstrong's, "A Kiss to Build a Dream On," "Sweet Disposition" by The Temper Trap and "Winter Song" by Sara Bareilles and Ingrid Michaelson have just floated by:


They say that things just cannot grow
beneath the winter snow
Or so I have been told
They say we're buried far
Just like a distant star
I simply cannot hold

[...]

I still believe in summer days
The seasons always change
And life will find a way
I'll be your harvester of light
And send it out tonight
So we can start again...

Apparently I'm a week early for feeling blue. The actual date of the official "Blue Monday," the "worst day of the year" is January 18th. Here's the equation to prove it:

http://www.beatbluemonday.org.uk/?pagename=the-equation

It seems that there are six factors to determine this day: weather (W), debt (d), time since the holidays (T), time since failing our new year’s resolutions (Q), low motivational levels (M) and the feeling of a need to take action (Na).

At least it's a codified system of depression!

I know it's going to be in the 40s later on this week. Maybe I'll feel less like a carton of frozen peas and more like my formerly papaya self then!

No comments:

Post a Comment