Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Braces In the City

I'm thinking about that episode of Sex and The City where Miranda gets braces because she's a "tongue thruster" which means that when she sleeps she pushes her front teeth with her tongue, so her bite is off. She meets the girls with a mouth full of metal (which, as a lawyer, she could have afforded all kinds of clear, Invisalign lingual options, but hey, the power of the visual gag reigns supreme on the almighty TV). I loved this exchange when I saw it the first time. Little did I know how much it would hit home a few years later:

Miranda: This is what happens to tongue thrusters. I have to wear them for a year. Am I hideous?
Carrie: No. Hey... no. No, they don't look so bad.
Miranda: Really? You mean it?
Carrie: That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

My 10 pound weight loss has been nice in the last few weeks. The lisping not so much. But let's just say lesson learned, Miranda. I will never eat olive tapenade on a date. (If I ever go out on a date again.)

1 comment:

  1. Oh please IF you go out on a date again.... You are one foxy lady and in time, it'll likely be shorter rather than longer I suspect, you'll find yourself kvelling over a totally amazing man, and he will be doing the same. Period.

    ReplyDelete