Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Foodie Status Restored!

The Bionic Grin is smiling.

For so many reasons!

First of all, I am smiling because my sweet friend Kira had made things not-so-technical for me! She taught me how to properly embed images into the blog (yes, I know you were all tittering about the fact that I was all proud that I could do it two posts ago, and really, it was a complete failure. But if you look back now, you'll see the image there all nice and proper!) So get ready! More photos to come! And I might just move on to video if you can handle it!

Secondly, I am smiling because my foodie status has been restored! Dinner at Cookshop! (One of my favorite places!) I ordered fish and I could eat it! It came with okra stew and it was delicious! And it didn't feel strange or difficult in my teeth! It's nothing short of a miracle! All is right once again with the Universe!

Thirdly I'm smiling because I'm sitting here with a slice of banana cake from Billy's Bakery and loving every minute of it. (Thanks to you, Michal!) Because I can eat it! My teeth still feel chalky and strange, but I'm learning to be true to myself once again. So much for those 10 pounds I just lost...

Just mere days ago, my friend Betsy, in honor of Ted Kennedy's passing made her grandmother's Hermit Square recipe, a lovely spiced cake, much like a blondie, dressed in autumnal finery of nutmeg and cloves. This recipe is a true New England original, first noted in cookbooks in 1860. It smelled divine, the butter absolutely filling the air. I cut it into tiny pieces and tried to gum at it, but simply not being able to sink my teeth into them, made me feel so disenfranchised. It was downright unAmerican not to enjoy Betsy's cake and give Ted a proper sendoff in the best way I could outside of Hyannis Port.

But now, there is so much for this bionic self to smile about. More grin-worthy posts to come!

3 comments:

  1. If we had only known, we would have taken a walk over to Cookshop to take part in the celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm so happy you and your pretty bionic smile are feeling good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had I known it was such cause for celebration, I would have invited y'all!

    ReplyDelete