Friday, September 4, 2009

Let Me Entertain You...

It's my three week anniversary with the braces and for the first time, they hurt. My teeth feel like they're falling out. I am unhappy and I don't want to talk about it.

Here's what I do want to talk about:

As you know, it's a holiday weekend and I found myself on Bleecker Street in the mid-afternoon since I skipped out of work a touch early. This is what greeted me as I walked down the street:

It was a gaggle of models outside of Cynthia Rowley. I immediately thought that there was some kind of sample sale, but those have people who look like ME on line, not these earnest glamazons with legs like ladders. I passed a German photographer who was also just as taken with the scene as I was. She told me that all of the girls were waiting to audition for the runway shows next week. (How could I forget about Fashion Week?) She had a bewildered smile on her face when she told me that all the models were wearing sandals or flip flops, but once they were in view of the Rowley window, they put on their high heels--and all the same pair, apparently.

I was fascinated by the shoes:


What do you even call these things? High heeled booties? They make feet look vaguely witchy, but with those legs, I don't think anyone cares. I did feel a little bad for them. They all looked so young and uncertain...and like they had plantar fasciitis.

Looks like it was a good day for painful body parts!

2 comments:

  1. ouch, ouch, ouch.... I wonder if my 4 days of food poisoning were as painful as these damn shoes and your poor lil' mouth!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "What do you even call those things? High-heeled booties?"

    I've been calling them "ugly as all getup." So far it's been working for me.

    ReplyDelete