Thursday, September 10, 2009

Fashion's Night Out

I've got to hand it to the fashion industry. Instead of whining about the fact that people are no longer plunking down $1000 for a pair of fur lined gloves in our sluggish economic times, they concocted Fashion's Night Out--which was tonight--where shops all over NYC (and in 12 countries around the world) stayed open until 11pm to fete customers and entice them to spend a little--if not a lot. Honestly, it was the brainchild of a marketing wizard. Everywhere my friend Francoise and I went tonight, we were offered wine, champagne, free makeovers and, best of all, genuine smiles from excited shopkeepers.

Though I did not partake of the champagne, I did indulge in a makeover at the Union Square Sephora. Fresh was doing a promotion, and as I was getting prettified, one of the founders of the company came over to say hello. He was lovely and had the most perfect skin I'd ever seen. I wasn't sure if he was just doing good business when he told me that I have fabulous skin, but something about him seemed very sincere so I graciously accepted the compliment.

I have been wallowing in feelings of unattractiveness due to the braces for the past few days--an indulgent fact I'm not proud of. But having a makeup artist that close to my face, daintily applying masks and creams and shadow and liner and gloss restored something. And the smile on my face was as genuine as the NYC shopkeepers'.

As we left the store, I looked up to see the Tribute in Light already in place. Every year on September 11th two beams of light rise into the night sky, originating from the spot where the Twin Towers used to be. I remember when they first appeared a few months after 9/11/01 and how comforted we all were to see them, to see the space honored and remembered. And though it sounds strange, it also served as a beacon, directing all the confused souls of the dead who were most certainly wandering around the city, not knowing what had happened on that day. They finally understood that they just had to go UP. There was a palpable difference in the air after those beams of light appeared. And I remember that sense of relief that was collectively felt in the city, by both the living and the dead.

I suppose this is a reminder that we all endure. The economy will bounce back. Gucci will once again sell $1000 fur lined gloves. New York is still its vibrant, energetic, pulsing self, despite the amputation of its twin limbs, and I can still smile, genuinely, even with a mouth full of metal.


1 comment:

  1. The last two paragraphs really brought me back to the east coast, and NY of course... I love that you wrote so eloquently here about four very different topics, yet they interwove perfectly.

    ReplyDelete